Reading Time: 5 minutes read
Would you like to see the top 20 dog breeds with the most powerful bite in the world? We use units of pressure to compare the bite strength of various dog breeds. While America commonly uses the PSI (pounds per square inch), there are also other pressure units, such as the pascal or the bar. Now let's take a look at the top 20 dog breeds with the most powerful bite in the world!
20. The Labrador Retriever. The Labrador Retriever is known as one of the most popular dog breeds, as well as a very peaceful one. The strength of a Labrador Retriever's bite is 230 PSI (15.86 bar). Luckily, Labs are not aggressive dogs, and it is pretty rare for them to attack anyone.
19. The American Pit Bull. American Pit Bulls have a reputation for being the most dangerous dogs in the world. The reason for this lies in their numerous attacks on people, many of which have been fatal. Are American Pit Bulls considered dangerous due to their bite strength? American Pit Bulls have a biting force of 235 PSI (16.2 bar). The sheer power of their bite plays a factor in their fearsome reputation since they have an exceedingly strong one for their size.
18. The Great Dane. Great Danes are gentle giants. They are quite elegant and make for excellent pets. Their bite strength is 238 PSI (16.41 bar). It is a remarkably powerful bite, so if you see one of these dogs, it would be a bad idea to anger them!
17. The German Shepherd Dog. German Shepherds are one of the most faithful dog breeds in the world. They are very popular, as well as excellent guard dogs. A German Shepherd's bite strength is 238 PSI (16.41 bar). Their bite is more than powerful enough to break every bone in the human body.
16. The Doberman. The Doberman is a remarkably intelligent and loyal dog breed that is considered dangerous and aggressive by many dog owners. These mighty dogs also have a powerful bite that reaches 245 PSI (16.89 bar).
15. The American Bulldog. American Bulldogs are stocky, muscular, well-built dogs. They are known for having a particularly powerful bite for their size. Are American Bulldogs powerful dogs based on their bite strength? The bite strength of an American Bulldog is 305 PSI (21 bar). These dogs not only look imposing but have a menacing bite as well.
14. The African Wild Dog. The African Wild Dog is a highly sociable animal that lives in packs. They are an endangered breed, and their numbers are steadily decreasing. These hunting dogs have a bite strength of 317 PSI (21.86 bar).
13. The Siberian Husky. The beautiful and kind Siberian Husky is a frequent choice of pet. Known for their friendly nature, they are rather playful as well. Can Huskies be dangerous? The Husky has a bite strength of 320 PSI (22 bar). This breed can assuredly be dangerous, but luckily, their temperament isn't problematic.
12. The Rottweiler. The Rottweiler is a mid-sized dog often seen as dangerous and aggressive. Are they dangerous? Rottweilers are well known for their exceptional physical strength and excellent guard dog characteristics. Their bite strength is 328 PSI (22.6 bar). If a Rottweiler perceives a threat, their powerful bite makes them extremely dangerous.
11. The Akita. The beautiful and ever more popular Akita is a vigilant guard dog that can turn extremely aggressive. The Akita's biting strength is 350 PSI (24.1 bar). These dogs rarely bark. They attack without warning, and their immensely powerful bite can cause serious injury if they perceive a threat. And now for the top 10 dog breeds with the most powerful bite in the world. Ready?
10. The Leonberger. The Leonberger is a giant dog breed, as well as very muscular, with a well-balanced body shape. Does the Leonberger breed have a powerful bite? As you can likely guess, this mighty breed has a particularly powerful bite of 399 PSI (27.5 bar). It's best not to provoke these brawny giants.
9. The Czechoslovakian Wolfdog. The Czechoslovakian Wolfdog is a beautiful furry pet. They are great house pets, but they always harbor a mistrust toward strangers and other animals. Is the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog a dangerous pet? Due to their distrustfulness, and at times fickle nature, they are considered a dangerous breed. They are either banned or have restricted ownership in many of the world's countries. They also have a powerful bite of 406 PSI (28 bar).
8. The Dogo Argentino. The Dogo Argentino is a large and muscular dog breed that people bred for big-game hunting.
They also used to compete in dog fights. Is the Dogo Argentino a dangerous pet, considering the strength of its bite? The Dogos are exceedingly loyal guard dogs, but they have an incredibly powerful bite of 500 PSI (34.5 bar). The Dogo Argentino can be extremely dangerous, but if socialized early, they won't attack without reason and can make for exceptional guard dogs.
7. The Presa Canario. Also known as the Canary Mastiff, this is a rare and large dog breed that demands early socialization and obedience training. The Canary Mastiff has a bite strength of 540 PSI (37.2 bar). They are outlawed or have restricted ownership in many countries. They tend to be very dominant dogs. While they can be good pets, it is necessary to treat these dogs well and never let them become the alpha member of the family.
6. The English Mastiff. The English Mastiff is a large dog breed with a massive body. They are known as calm and hardworking pets. While they are good-natured, it's still best not to provoke them. With a bite strength of 556 PSI (38.33 bar), they have no trouble grinding down large bones.
5. The Tosa Inu. The Japanese Fighting Dog Tosa is a rare dog breed that finds its use in dog fights in Japan even today. They originated by crossbreeding with various European dog breeds to gain size and strength. These dogs are very aggressive, which is why many countries have outlawed them. Same as the English Mastiff, the Tosa has a bite strength of 556 PSI (38.33 bar).
4. The Dogue De Bordeaux. The Dogue De Bordeaux, or the French Mastiff, is a well-built, muscular dog breed. They are known for their exceptional strength when it comes to hauling heavy objects. Still, they tend to be calm dogs that don't show their remarkable strength without provocation. These mighty dogs have a mighty bite of 556 PSI (38.33 bar). And now for the top 3 dog breeds with the most powerful bite in the world:
3. The Italian Cane Corso. The Cane Corso is a muscular Italian mastiff that is considered an excellent guard dog. With his powerful bite of 700 PSI (48.3 bar), the Cane Corso is more than a match to anyone who poses a threat to his owner. Is the Cane Corso dangerous? These dogs are not considered dangerous pets. They are highly intelligent, loyal, and you only need to be careful if you're getting visited by strangers. People hold Cane Corsos in high regard in their native Italy.
2. The Bandog. The Bandog originated by crossbreeding various breeds. Their primary role was that of a working guard dog. They have the size of the Mastiff breed and the temperament of an American Pit Bull Terrier. Bandogs take second place on the list of the top 20 dog breeds with the most powerful bite in the world with their bite of 730 PSI (50.3 bar).
1. The Turkish Shepherd Dog Kangal. The Kangal is a mastiff-type breed that has exceptional size, strength, and guards livestock against predators of all sizes. The strength of a Kangal's bite is an incredible 743 PSI (51.2 bar), which makes them the mightiest breed in the world based on biting force. Is the Kangal dangerous ? These dogs can most certainly be dangerous, but by nature, they are kind and friendly toward humans.
They are also protective and wary toward all intruders encroaching on their territory. As you can see, bite strength doesn't necessarily have to depend on the size and weight of the dog. Having a powerful bite also doesn't automatically make the dog aggressive or dangerous. These are simply some of the mightiest dogs based on the strength of their bite.