Do rabbits eat succulents? In case you’re wondering whether your succulents might be toxic to bunnies (or rabbits), we have the most important answers for you here.
If you plan to share your life with a rabbit or you already welcome one of these sweet animals into your home, you should know that these furry animals, in addition to being friendly and endearing, also have needs that as their guardian you must know and meet. One of these is their feeding.
What do Rabbits Eat?
The main food that domestic rabbits should consume is hay, integrating fruits and vegetables so that their immune system remains strong.
It is important to wash fresh foods well, since they may have been sprayed with pesticides during harvest, which can mean serious health problems if your rabbit ingests them.
If you want to include a new food in your rabbit’s diet, it is always advisable to do it progressively. Foods such as grass and flowers should be combined with hay to prevent the rabbit from developing a food preference. But what about succulents? Do rabbits eat succulents too?
Do Rabbits Eat Succulents?
First of all, you must always keep in mind that rabbits are very small animals with a fast metabolism. Hence, they are prone to toxins.
Since a large number of decorative plant families are assigned to the succulents, this type of plant cannot generally be defined as toxic or non-toxic.
Even if they do not live with humans, toxic succulents can harm wild rabbits, namely if they are outside in the garden and the animals eat on them.
Let’s deal with the question of which succulents can be toxic to them.
Which Succulents are Poisonous to Rabbits?
This list does not claim to be complete. Please always do your research when purchasing a new succulent plant.
Signs of Poisoning in Rabbits
Signs of poisoning in rabbits can include a bloated stomach, salivation, restlessness, diarrhea, bloody feces, cramps, and shortness of breath. If your rabbit experiences such symptoms, you must contact a veterinarian immediately. Rabbits cannot vomit after they have eaten something poisonous, so treatment must be done quickly.
Fortunately, the animals are very picky about their food and mostly avoid harmful plants. However, instead of relying on these instincts, it is better not to have toxic succulents in the same household as your rabbits.