Knowing how to care for a newly blind dog is easy if we know the aspects that we must consider. The passage of time also affects our pets and one of the first signs of ageing in dogs is usually the loss of vision.
Likewise, the appearance of certain diseases can develop sudden, progressive, temporary, or permanent blindness. If your dog has stopped seeing and you do not know what you should do to maintain its quality of life, keep reading on.
Steps to Follow on How to Care for a Newly Blind Dog
- The first thing you must learn to care for your blind dog is that loss of vision does not mean that your dog has lost the ability to continue living on its own. This means that you should not overprotect them this will transmit to our pet the fear and insecurity that we ourselves feel. Animals are not aware of their new state, they simply adapt and learn to further develop the other senses to survive.
- It is not advisable to conduct a home restructuring or a change your things just to accommodate your dog. Dogs are guided by smell more than sight, so your dog will find a way based on smell. Their bed, bowl, and furniture give off a smell that they have internalized since puppy days. Of course, if you have decorative elements or any sharp objects, you must place them elsewhere, where they have no access to.
- Do not be scared if at first, they collide with the furniture, doors, and walls in your house, as this is normal. What you should do is try to maintain a certain order. Dogs need stability and more so when they lose their vision. Therefore, it is essential that everything always stays in the same place (especially their bed, food, and water bowls).
- If you have a ladder in your house, you must have it properly protected to prevent it from falling. Therefore, it is essential that you place a side barrier at the height of your dog. At first it may be a bit difficult for them to climb the steps. Over time, they will get used to it and climb without problem. If they are afraid to go up or down the stairs (due to their handicapped condition), you should motivate them with prizes, food, or toys.
- Especially during the first weeks, it can happen that your blind dog becomes disoriented inside the house. Do not worry, it is normal. What you should do in these cases is to set a reference point, by bringing items such as their bed or food bowl toward them. In this way your dog will interpret that that object is their starting point and will know where it is at home to resume their path. Therefore, it is essential that everything stays in the same place.
- You should change their toys to something that give off certain sounds, such as those with a bell inside. This way, when throwing them, your dog will follow the noise and will know where to look for them. Play with them as usual, do not make it easy for them to find the ball (remember that you should not overprotect them).
- Do not modify the timing of walks, you still need to exercise. Of course, always use a leash to make your dog easier to follow you. Also remember that toys must be loud. During walks, it is possible that your blind dog now stops more than before to sniff (both the ground and other dogs), so let them take their time. By losing their sight, they think that they have developed their sense even more.
- As for food, it must be the same. If you notice that they have slightly lost their appetite or stopped eating, what you should do is enhance the smell and taste to make it more attractive.
- Finally, a very effective trick for your blind dog if they get lost on the street or finds themself in an unfamiliar space, is to teach them to chase you. Simply perform noisy steps to catch their attention and make them come to you, in this way they will learn to relate the sound of the steps with the presence of humans and will know where to go. To take care of a blind dog you only need to have a little patience at first. Teach them these new skills and, above all, learn that they are still just as capable as before. Remember that they are not aware of it and will adapt quickly.