In this article, we are going to teach you how to clean stains under dogs eyes. These spots can be due to different causes and consist of an oxidation of the hairs under the eyes. It is most evident in white-haired dogs, such as the Maltese, Bichon Frize, or Westy.
Maintaining a general hygiene in our pet is one of the most important factors to consider before buying any pet that we are going to include in our family circle.
If we decide to acquire a dog as a pet, general care must be repeated often so that our future pet has optimal care in its physical and mental development.
We are going to give you some tips so that you know how to clean the eyes of your dog.
How to Clean Dog Eye Boogers? – Orange peel
The peel of the orange and the whitish skin inside is a very effective remedy to remove black stains from the teeth. Due to its richness in nutrients (such as pectin, limonene, and vitamin C) it has powerful whitening properties that little by little they return the natural whiteness of the teeth.
In addition, it also has a high content of flavonoids and other antioxidant substances that give it an ideal antiseptic power to eliminate the accumulation of microorganisms and other debris that dirties the teeth. To try this home remedy, you simply must follow these steps:
- Peel an orange to get its peels.
- With these fresh peels, rub the inside white part on the teeth for about 3 minutes like a toothbrush.
- Repeat this process every day before going to bed.
Causes of Tear Stains in Dogs
The brown spots under the eyes of dogs are due to excess moisture from tears. This humidity favors the development of bacteria and the red yeast that produces this stain by oxidizing the hair, called Ptyrosporin.
Excess tearing, meanwhile, can have a multitude of causes (genetic predisposition, allergies, tear duct blockages).
Not all the causes are due to the dog's body! Its environment also influences a lot: dust, smoke, fleas and ticks, stress.
How to Get Rid Of Dog Eye Stains? Magic of Baking Soda
Baking soda is one of the best-known natural remedies for removing dark stains from teeth. Although it is a natural product that is used for housework, it also stands out as a home remedy for various health and aesthetic problems (such as stained teeth) due to its excellent whitening properties.
In addition, thanks to its high composition in alkaline substances, bicarbonate also has antibacterial and antiseptic properties that regulate the pH of the mouth and eliminates the accumulation of bacteria and microorganisms that cause infections and oral diseases.
To prepare this remedy to remove black stains from teeth with baking soda you will need:
- 5 grams of baking soda
- 1 gram of salt
- Some water
Preparation and treatment
- Combine both ingredients in a glass and add a little water to mix them better.
- Then add the mixture to your toothbrush and gently rub it all over the teeth.
- Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes and then wash it off with plenty of warm water.
- Due to the abrasive substances in bicarbonate, this remedy can only be repeated once a week.
How to Remove Dog Eye Stains? 3 Natural Remedies to Eliminate Dark Tears
In addition to the products that exist on the market, you can eliminate undesirable stains that dirty your dog's coat all by yourself. Here is a small list of natural remedies:
- Weakly mineralized water: if you offer your pet a water that contains less minerals, it will produce lesser dark tear ducts.
- Hygiene: observe your dog's eyes regularly to make sure that no hair or any unwanted object enters it. You should also make sure to dry their tear ducts and clean their environment and toys regularly to prevent the buildup of bacteria.
- Apple cider vinegar: add a tablespoon in the dog's water, in this way you will be creating an acidic base.
How to Get Rid of Stains on Dogs Eyes?
There are a few measures you can take to learn how to clean tear stains around dogs’ eyes. We must base ourselves on attacking the different causes that may have created the problem:
- Unblocking of the nasolacrimal duct: You can take your dog to the vet and he will perform a cleaning of the nasolacrimal duct. This is especially needed in the case of small breeds with flat snouts, which by genetic inheritance have a tendency for their tear ducts to become blocked.
- Avoid foreign objects in the eyes: Keep the eyes of your dog clean. Any bleach, dirt, eyelash, or hair on them will make them cry more than normal. So, trim your dog's bangs in the area near his eyes and check its eyes often to avoid foreign bodies. During shower sessions, be careful not to get soap in its eyes.
- Rule out that your dog suffers from allergies: You should know that foods with additives and artificial colors can cause allergies in some dogs, and that will make them secrete more tears. Food with corn or soy also gives allergies to some dogs.
- A balanced diet is important. In general, make sure your dog gets enough protein products like meat or liver. (This does not mean that your dog should eat liver every day, but it does mean that it is present in its diet). Some owners claim that giving them balanced homemade food lessens the problem greatly.
- You can give your dog food supplement with probiotics at least 3 days a week. This remedy tries to promote good bacteria in the dog's body and thus improves overall health and the absorption of nutrients. The reason this works is that probiotics create a hostile environment for harmful bacteria and fungi.
- Bottled or Filtered Water: Some dog owners claim that giving bottled or filtered water to their dog has greatly reduced the problem of brown spots. The reason behind it is that bottled or filtered water has fewer minerals, and thus the oxidation we were talking about is reduced.
- Apple cider vinegar: Another option that some owners have found to work is to add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in the dog's drinking bowl. This remedy makes sense, because what it does is make the tears a little more acidic and thus the environment in which bacteria and fungi proliferate becomes hostile to them.
- Stainless steel and hygiene: Finally, it is best to use stainless steel feeders and drinkers (which does not promote the growth of bacteria and fungi). It is also advisable to wash the dog's feeder and drinker with soap and water frequently.
Now that you have learned how to remove eye stains on dogs, make sure to put this guide into practice and hopefully it will lead to better living conditions for your dog.