It may be strange to want our dog to vomit, but in certain situations it is necessary for it to do so. Many households live with a restless dog, who does not stop creating trouble, who eats anything it catches and that is difficult to keep under control 24/7.
If you ever find yourself in a situation where your dog has eaten what he shouldn't have eaten, we want you to be prepared and learn how to get your dog to throw up and when it is advisable to perform this practice. A quick performance at the right time can save your life.
- 1 When It's Recommended to Make a Dog Vomit
- 2 How to Get Your Dog to Throw Up
- 3 How to Make a Puppy Throw Up
- 4 Contraindications to Making Your Dog Vomit
- 5 Conclusion
When It's Recommended to Make a Dog Vomit
Imagine the situation where you come home and see only a sock of the pair, or missing part of your dog's favorite toy or even, you've seen your dog drink from a chemical or toxic solution. You should be prepared to act and above all, know whether or not it is advisable to cause vomiting.
If you suspect that your dog has ingested a certain item or product, the first thing you should do is contact your veterinarian to advise you if it is convenient or not to make your dog vomit.
Causing vomiting when not recommended can seriously complicate the situation: It is very important to contact your veterinarian before acting.
You can make your dog vomit if…
- It has ingested a toxic product (what you know) and it has been less than 30 minutes (maximum up to 2 hours). Before performing this action, you should consult the veterinarian by phone and ask whether or not you can do so. There are very irritating and corrosive substances that it is best not to expel by vomiting. For example, you can do this in case of poisoning by plants, medications or narcotics such as marijuana. You cannot do this if it'd ingested any acid, some poisons or petroleum derivatives.
- It is not recommended to cause vomiting if your dog has ingested a sharp object. If it has eaten a needle, glass or any cutting object, it is better to leave it where it is and quickly go to the veterinarian, because if you bring the object up and down, you can injure some internal organ.
- You should not cause vomiting if the dog is not fully conscious as it could suffocate and/or cause aspiration pneumonia.
- Nor should you make your dog vomit if the ingested object is too large. For example, if it has ingested a piece of bulky clothing and has already reached its stomach, you should leave it there and urgently go to the vet. If the dog throws it up, the object may not pass as easily as it entered and the animal will suffocate.
- You can make your dog vomit if it has ingested any food harmful to him, for example chocolate. If no more than 30 minutes have elapsed (there is literature that mentions up to 2 hours) it may be indicated to make a dog vomit.
- We should never make a dog vomit if it has ingested bones as they splinter easily and can seriously injure the esophagus. Bones should be treated as a sharp object.
How to Get Your Dog to Throw Up
You should not make your dog throw up under any circumstance. Do it only in one of these three cases:
- Drug intoxication: aspirin, paracetamol, ibuprofen, among others.
- Chemical poisoning: insecticides, rodenticides, gasoline or acids.
- Plant poisoning: mainly marijuana, also by garden plants, which are toxic to its body.
Also, it should be considered that it is good to induce vomiting when no more than 1 or 2 hours have passed since the ingestion of the object or substance. On the other hand, it is important to provoke it when we do not know the elapsed time but the dog does not present nervous alterations and is conscious.
How to Make a Dog Throw Up With Salt
In a glass with water, dilute 1 to 3 tablespoons of salt and administer it to your dog orally with a syringe or directly into its mouth.
If after applying some of these methods your dog begins to salivate, have nausea or abdominal contractions, it means that it was effective. If 10 to 15 minutes pass and your dog does not present any of these symptoms or simply does not vomit, repeat the operation.
It is important to know that any of these home methods can be risky for your dog's health, causing gastritis or poisoning due to the amount of salinity, therefore, it is essential that after doing so you take it to the vet for evaluation and recovery.
How to Get Your Dog to Throw Up With Hydrogen Peroxide
This method requires more precision. A mixture of equal parts of water and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) must be made.
The dose of hydrogen peroxide is 2 milliliters for every kilo of weight, that is, if your dog weighs 8 kilos, you must load 16 milliliters of H2O2 into the syringe and place it in an empty glass to mix.
Next, add 16 milliliters of normal water, mix and as in the previous method, administer with the syringe quickly so that it reaches the throat. The dog should show distress and signs of vomiting within 10 minutes.
How to Make Your Dog Throw Up After Eating Chocolate
You can use any of the methods above – salt or hydrogen peroxide. If you are away from home and do not have salt or hydrogen peroxide on hand, you can also use your fingers to make a dog throw up. This technique carries the risk of suffering a bite, as well as being a bit unpleasant, but it is important to know it if you find yourselves in a critical situation.
You should insert the index and middle fingers (sometimes the index finger is enough) in the dog's mouth and reach the base of the tongue. Press lightly in that area, which corresponds to the entrance of the throat, try to keep the dog's head in a neutral position or downwards and quickly remove the fingers. They tend to gag instantly and 1 or 2 repetitions will be sufficient.
How to Make a Puppy Throw Up
First and foremost, call your vet. It is always best to consult a professional before inducing vomiting. Then when your vet says it's safe and your puppy is on the alert, then it's time to get started. They can induce vomiting in a puppy for up to an hour after ingesting a foreign substance or object, but the sooner the better. Be aware, however, that it can be dangerous to induce vomiting if the puppy looks dizzy, appears depressed, or passes out. If so, it may inhale and choke on the material on its way up.
To induce vomiting, first serve the poisoned puppy a small amount of food. Remember, you're not rewarding him for eating spilled paint thinner, but diluting the poison with food will help delay absorption.For solid items, food can also act as padding and lubricant when the item reappears. Also, getting a puppy to upchuck can be difficult if their tummy is too empty.
Next, use a dropper or plastic syringe (without a needle) to give your pup 3 percent hydrogen peroxide. A squirt gun works well in this case too. The peroxide tastes bad and foams. This combination usually causes him to vomit in about five minutes. You can repeat this dose two or three times, each dose lasting five minutes.
Ipecac syrup is another effective vomit for dogs. However, Ipecac lasts longer than hydrogen peroxide and the dose should only be given once. Give one teaspoon for dogs under 35 pounds and up to one tablespoon for larger dogs.
If you don't have hydrogen peroxide or ipecac on hand, give your pup a teaspoon of salt. Salt creates a dryness on the back of the puppy's tongue that can sometimes force it to clear its throat. Repeat each dose every three minutes if the first dose does not work.
After your puppy has emptied its stomach, call your veterinarian. A veterinarian wants you to bring the puppy along with a sample of the vomit. A veterinarian can analyze the poison and offer an antidote or other follow-up to ensure your pup survives.
Contraindications to Making Your Dog Vomit
Protecting the dog's health is crucial, so here are some situations that could be counterproductive when it comes to causing vomiting:
- When the dog begins to vomit voluntarily.
- If it swallowed a sharp or large object.
- When the origin or nature of the poison is unknown: acid corrosive agents, alkaline caustics, surfactants and petroleum derivatives.
- If the dog has these signs: excessive salivation, seizures, swallowing problems, breathing disorders or is simply unconscious.
- If the dog has any disease that can cause inhalation pneumonia.
Encouraging your dog to vomit is very useful in certain situations, especially if it is very evident that what it ingested is making it feel bad in its body; although in addition to all this, it will depend on the absorbed dose, its general condition and the damage caused by the poison. Don't forget that every detail counts for a lot.
Knowing how to get your dog to throw up can be very useful in situations that pose a certain risk , either because they compromise the life of the animal (for example, by ingesting a poison) or because they prevent future medical problems (for example, gastritis by ingestion of chocolate).
However, this article does not constitute an action guide and is for informational purposes only. It is vitally important to contact a veterinarian urgently and thus seek the medical attention that our furry companion deserves.