Why does my dog play tug of war with the leash? Leash-tugging is often the function of too much energy. Exercise your dog (hard) before his walk and you’ll have a far less grabby walking companion.
How do I stop my dog from tug of war with a leash?
- Firstly, don’t create a behavior chain!
- Secondly, remove the leash from his line of vision.
- Third, teach your dog to grab his leash on cue!
- Fourth, give him something else to carry.
- For more tips on training your dog, enroll in the AKC GoodDog!
Is it OK to let dogs play tug of war with dogs? Dogs can play tug-of-war with each other, and the same rules should apply. If your dogs show any truly aggressive dominant behavior while playing, they shouldn’t be allowed to engage in the game together. Your dog might even like to play tug-of-war alone: Tether Tug Dog Toy.
Does playing tug of war with dog make them aggressive? Tug of war won’t make your dog aggressive, but it might intensify unwanted behaviors or patterns that are already present. Before you play tug of war, you need to set a few ground rules.