Can Dogs Eat Grapes?
No; the simple answer to this question is dogs should not eat grapes. It may sound bizarre but grapes or raisins are toxic for the dogs. Although there is no scientific evidence of which substance in grapes has toxic nature for dogs.
Grapes are forbidden for dogs regardless of their breed, age, or size. Also, there is no permissible limit for grapes. That’s why it is recommended not to feed grapes to your canine.
- 1 Why Grapes Should Not Be Given To Dogs?
- 2 Can Dogs Eat Green Grapes?
- 3 Can Grapes Kill Your Dog?
- 4 Your Dog Ate One Grape, Should You Worry?
- 5 What Are The Symptoms Of Grape Toxicity?
- 6 What If Your Dog Has Eaten Grapes?
- 7 What Are The Safe Treatment Options?
- 8 How To Prevent Grape Poisoning In Dogs?
- 9 Final Thoughts:
- 10 Further Reading:
Why Grapes Should Not Be Given To Dogs?
Kidney damage caused by grapes could be a reason for this restriction. When dogs eat grapes, their kidneys fail to perform their function. As it has not been reported which toxic substance is present in grapes, some substances, such as flavonoids, monosaccharides, and tannins present in grapes cannot be metabolized by dogs.
Can Dogs Eat Green Grapes?
When dogs eat grapes of any form, the risk of kidney failure is sure to develop. If grapes are fresh, unripe, dried, toxic, peeled, or cooked, they are dangerous even if a minuscule amount is consumed daily.
Can Grapes Kill Your Dog?
If your canine eats a grape on regular basis, he will most likely develop health complications. His kidney will fail to perform its function properly. In severe cases, acute kidney failure can possibly result in death.
Your Dog Ate One Grape, Should You Worry?
No, if this is just a one-time occurrence and not a recurring activity, you do not need to worry. If you have a larger dog, one grape won’t make any disaster. Still, you have to be careful. We can’t clearly say large breeds won’t develop any health issues, but the effect will be minimal as compared to smaller breeds or puppies.
If your dog is not showing any symptoms, it means there is no need to take your canine to the vet, but the immediate treatment should be done at home.
What Are The Symptoms Of Grape Toxicity?
No matter how much you care for your dog, accidents do happen. Dogs get attracted to new smells and tastes.If you are eating grapes, your dog is waiting for you to drop one on the floor. If your dog is aggressive and stubborn, he can even snatch them from your hand.
If you can’t handle dog aggression, the golden doodle is the best breed for you. This breed is patient, calm, friendly, and loves to follow your commands.
Golden doodles in rescues are even more patient and obedient. So, visit your nearest golden doodle rescue and get the breed that doesn’t come between you and your favorite fruit.
The following symptoms are most likely to develop if your dog gets exposed to grape poisoning;
- Loss of Appetite
- Less or no urine production
- Increased thirst and dehydration
- Body weakness
- Mouth ulcers
Acute symptoms such as weakness and less appetite appear within 24 hours of grape poisoning, while chronic or severe symptoms such as nausea, abdominal pain, and uremic breath will likely show after 48 hours of ingestion.
If your dog is showing the above-mentioned symptoms, seek medical advice as soon as possible.
What If Your Dog Has Eaten Grapes?
As there is no toxic dose mentioned so far, any amount can be dangerous for your dog. If your dog has eaten a significant amount of grapes and you have just overlooked the situation, kidney failure is sure to happen.
Call your vet immediately; he will most probably ask you for inducing vomiting. Chances are your dog will voluntarily vomit after eating several grapes. The body normally rejects the toxins this way.
But if he does not vomit, use food that can help him to do so. If this idea doesn’t work, a small quantity of hydrogen peroxide will surely help.
But if your dog is facing difficulty in breathing or is in shock, skip the vomiting option and let the vet do its job.Your dog must get immediate care as there is no antidote present for grapes toxicity.
What Are The Safe Treatment Options?
If your dog can’t be treated at home, take him immediately to the vet clinic. Your vet will use the following treatments;
This one is a simple and most frequently used grape toxicity treatment option. Make sure to do this treatment as soon as possible because if the grapes will make their way to the stomach of your dog, vomiting will become useless.
Vomiting is also effective if your dog is showing such symptoms but you don’t know if he has eaten grapes or not.
In an animal clinic, severe IV fluid therapy will be used to treat grapes toxicity.
·Assessment Of Kidney Function
Through creatinine testing or BUN testing, the kidney function of your dog will be monitored.
Besides inducing vomiting, your vet will also prescribe activated charcoal to hinder the absorption of toxins in the intestine of your dog.
How To Prevent Grape Poisoning In Dogs?
Fresh grapes or any ingredient containing raisins, grapes, sultanas, and currants must be kept out of the reach of your dog.
There are many grape-based food items such as grape jelly, grape jam, grape juice, and raisin bread are also some culprits of grape poisoning in dogs. Make sure your children and guests also know that grapes are forbidden fruit for your dog.
It is your responsibility to know what is good or bad for your dog. No matter how delicious grapes are, they are poison for your canine. The enticing aroma of fresh grapes will invite your dog, so it is recommended to keep the fruit away from your dog.
You should not eat this fruit in front of your dog as well. Go through the ingredients list of dog food to ensure no harmful substance is present.
If your negligence has made your dog eat grapes, the prompt solution is to induce vomiting before the grapes enter their intestine from the stomach.